Section 49-O

I would like to apologize for the mistake I made in my previous post. There is no Section 49-O in the Constitution, but in the THE CONDUCT OF ELECTIONS RULES, 1961 which says:

49-O. Elector deciding not to vote.-If an elector, after his electoral roll number has been duly entered in the register of voters in Form-17A and has put his signature or thumb impression thereon as required under sub-rule (1) of rule 49L, decided not to record his vote, a remark to this effect shall be made against the said entry in Form 17A by the presiding officer and the signature or thumb impression of the elector shall be obtained against such remark.

A lot of emails have been floating around saying that this provision is in the Constitution when actually it's not.

2 comments:

Akansha Agrawal said...

It does exist... they claimed that this time during the present polls, all booths had copies of it... though I can't say for sure if they did have it! (well I didn't go to vote coz they haven't given me id abhi tak :-ss )

Shaunak Mukherjee said...

Agreed, but as I mentioned, it's not in the Constitution, but in the CONDUCT OF ELECTIONS RULES, 1961.

Anyway, even I didn't vote. My Id never reached me. Oh well, next time :|